It all started with the question, What business would you start if you had a million dollars? K posed this question to me this summer and I almost immediately replied that I would start a human trafficking/sex slavery awareness and rehabilitation program. This issue has captured my heart and until recently, there was hardly given any attention to this reality:
- A child is trafficked every 30 seconds. – UNICEF
- The average age of entry into commercial sex slavery in the United States is 13 years old. – United States Department of Justice
- Human Trafficking occurs in 161 out of 192 countries. – The United Nations
- Pornography is a 96 billion dollar per year industry. – The Internet Filter Review
- Human Trafficking is a 32 billion dollar per year industry. – The United Nations
- Over 27 million people are enslaved around the world. This is more than double the number of Africans enslaved during the Trans-Atlantic slave trade. – Kevin Bales; Free the Slaves
In light of this, the D family invited me to see the documentary Nefarious: Merchant of Souls that was shown in Greenville this past Tuesday. In learning about this documentary, I was able to reconnect with my FRAD (Freshman Resident Advisor), L, from my days at Furman because her husband was one of the people responsible for bringing the documentary here.
Side note: If you have not seen the documentary, please watch it. It is an incredible portrayal of the reality of the sex traffficking industry.
L invited me to their home for Secret Church the Friday before Nefarious. Secret Church is a gathering of believers world wide to worship, learn, and pray for the persecuted church. It usually lasts about 6-7 hours and is hosted by The Church at Brook Hills (Also known at David Platt’s Church). This time about 50,000 people world wide tuned in via simulcast to learn what the Bible says about Family, Marriage, and Sex. Full disclosure: I am a nerd. After 7 hours of intensive teaching, I left L’s house (at 2am) energized and with my mind racing. We took about 30 minutes to pray specifically and intensively for the church in Egypt. I got chills thinking that in one moment, 50,000 people were praying for a nation. Awesome. Needless to say, I will be attending or maybe hosting??? the next Secret Church on April 6 (Good Friday). I am also planning on hosting another showing of the most recent gathering, so if anyone is interested, let me know.
Isn’t it astounding that all of this came about because of 1 question this summer?